Saturday, October 25, 2008

Shepherd's Pie, as promised.

Oh my God. This is one of those recipes that doesn't try to fool you, but you still can't believe it's vegan, to the point that you almost feel guilty eating it! I got it from vegcooking.com, but modified the hell out of it to the point that it became my own. Sorry that when I cook, I don't measure out a lot of stuff. I just eyeball it and it comes out awesome.

Scrub a bunch of potatoes, cut them into manageable pieces (about 2 inch squares or so is fine) and boil them in water until they are really soft.

In a large skillet, saute some veggies. Traditional shepherd's pie uses peas, but D hates peas, and this meal was geared toward him, so I left them out. I used (in this order): carrots, onions, green beans, corn, zucchini, and garlic. Feel free to add or subtract when you make this. The Peta recipe called for a ground beef substitute, but D is not a fan of fake-outs, so I left that out and just used veggies.

In my saucier, I saute an onion & some garlic, and then make a good amount of roux with the onions in it (using flour and vegan margarine, about 1/4 cup each). Then I add red wine and vegetable broth (more broth than wine) until it's a gravy consistency, and throw in some mushrooms and a few tablespoons of soy sauce.

Toss the veggies with the gravy. Dump them all into a large baking pan, or use 2 or 3 pie pans so you can have leftovers! Drain the potatoes, throw in some vegan margarine, a little vegetable broth or soy milk, vegan sour cream if desired, salt, pepper, and garlic; chives or parsley optional. Mash with a fork. You can use a mixer, but you don't need to. You want a thicker mashed potato consistency. Spread your mashed potatoes over the veggie mixture. Bake until the potatoes are lightly browned on top; about 350 for 30 minutes or so.

Feel free to play around with seasonings--sage, rosemary, and thyme combo; caraway adds an interesting flavor; extra garlic goes nicely; whatever you like.
Enjoy!

No comments: